On October 19th, the famous Scotch-On-The-Rocks conference swapped over the channel to Europe: Andy Allen and his bunch of experts gave the honor to tell the german CF-community about ColdFusion9, Flash Builder, Flash Catalyst, Flex and a whole lot more.
It was an informative, enlightening, delighting and well organised event, I would recommend every one in or near Zurich (sold out), Milan, Amsterdam (sold out), Brussles and London (sold out) to register – it is even free (Update: see below for Gary’s post)! Unfortunately a nasty headache kept me away from an after-event-beer :-(
The sessions in detail:
- Keynote by Terry Ryan, Platform Evangelist for ColdFusion (Blog / Twitter)
Terry talked about new features and CF9 (some of them aren’t thaaaat new, some of them aren’t thaaaat helpful (but cool).
- »ColdFusion with Microsoft Office, SharePoint and Exchange« by Terry Ryan again
Super interesting for all those corporate peope out there, that had problems with a MS infrastructure in the past.
- »Flash Professional, Flash Catalyst, and Flash Builder: Facts, Features and (Work)Flows« by Serge Jespers, Platform Evangelist for Flash (Blog / Twitter)
Funny and enjoyable as every time Serge presented how designers, interaction designers and developers could easily cooperate using Flash Catalyst.
- »CSI: Who killed ColdFusion?« by Darren Pywell, CTO at Intergral Information Solutions
Darren showed how development-fails can bring servers to an end, how to (stress-)test correctly and gave interesting insights into the admin-problems, that developers like me (luckily) never have to deal with.
- »CF Envy – Sharing the love with AIR and Flex« by Andy Allen (Twitter)
Amusing as ever, Scotsman Andy presented his very funny but informative slides and »live«-coded (actually »clicking-on-snippets«) some Flex. Bonus: mocking on some of Adobe’s products.
- »ColdFusion 9: Server Administration« by Claude Englebert, EMEA ColdFusion Product Specialist (Twitter)
Again a session more for admins than for me.
- »Taking ColdFusion Applications Off-line with Adobe AIR« by Sven Ramuschkat, CTO of Herrlich & Ramuschkat
Sven showed an example for an On/Offline synchornisation of an AIR app with a CF-Server. He became ecstatic, when he told us about the Platinum Support, which is so much cheaper with ColdFusion, than with other products (but don’t forget, he is a reseller ;-)
- »Introduction to ColdFusion ORM« by Terry Ryan again
In the last session, Terry (who was severly jetlagged) showed examples of the new ORM-feature that would have impressed me even more, if the Cossack king behind by forhead would have stopped hammering against it for a few minutes.
As soon as the presentations and slides are available, I will post the links here.